Tuesday, September 30, 2008

1st Padres Game



Just as I was starting to feel guilty about not watching a Padres game at Petco Park this season, I was saved by divine intervention. With the MLB regular season winding down to its last weekend, I thought I missed the 81 chances I had to experience my first Padres baseball game in San Diego.But this weekend, over a dozen of my classmates and I were given an opportunity to volunteer for the “Shirts off Their Backs 2008” program hosted by the San Diego Padres. This program gave the fans an opportunity to purchase $1 scratcher tickets and the lucky winners would win 2 free tickets to the season finale on Sunday and also a signed Padres jersey right off the players back on the field, at the end of the game.


We were really excited to participate and raise money for the Padres Foundation that benefits pediatric cancer programs and youth baseball. As an extra incentive for volunteering, we were also given tickets to watch the Padres game against the Pittsburgh Pirates.Considering this was my first live baseball experience, I was really excited and looking forward to a good time. To be honest, baseball is not my favorite sport, but the “experience at the ballpark” is very unique. The experience starts about 90 minutes before the start of the game with kids taking practice swings at the “Park at the Park”, just beyond the outfield fence. As the crowd started piling in, it was great to see a large number of fans taking a shot to see if they were one of the “chosen ones” to get the free tickets and the player’s jersey. The not-so-lucky fans also accepted defeat gracefully by recognizing that the proceeds went to a good cause.


Petco Park is recognized as one of the best baseball stadiums in the country. The various activities that engage fans of all ages makes a day/night out at Petco Park a great experience for the entire family. I also came to realize how good we (the students in the Sports MBA program) have it here in San Diego. Not only do we have access to all the great things San Diego provides as a city, but as die-hard sports fans we have access to two major sports teams right in our own backyard. After tonight’s experience I truly understand why baseball is known as America’s “National Pastime”. On behalf of my classmates, I would also like to thank the Padres for having the Sports MBA class out at Petco and giving us an opportunity to contribute to a good cause.

No comments: