Tuesday, June 10, 2008

USA Sevens 2008

USA Sevens 2008 took place on February 9 and February 10 at PETCO Park!

While all the classmates were also volunteering this tournament, I and Corey were given a role of marketing and sales, and had opportunities to have lots of conversations with VIP Guests, Sponsors, and Vendors to directly hear their satisfactions and expectations about the tournament. My first time to volunteer in this country!


I had chances to talk with general people, private companies, some members from consulate general and Ambassadors. Here I’d like to share some comments I got from them.
  • “Since many people from other states and countries come to the tournament, we want you to promote more with tour packages including of watching the USA 7, San Diego Zoo / Sea World etc. “
  • “This is the sport tournament driven by a private organization, so it is important to focus on promoting to local companies and local people. Making a relationship with the local foreign communities (ex. Africans), and making them promote to join the tournament will probably be important.
  • “Awesome time! Trying to increase our awareness, especially among the Africans. This is our second year and I’m sure we’ll be back next year.”
  • “Need more promotion to youth to join the event and make them aware that Rugby is a great sport. “
  • “I want to get margin if I invite more people to VIP Suite Room. “

I personally had a great chance to meet with Japanese who works in marketing department in Sony. Not only I got a relationship with him but he taught me some marketing perspectives that I learned directly from him.

While this tournament is driven by a private organization, it seems it is important to have relationship with local people and communities constantly and promote them to join the tournament and cheer their home country. How important to take care of relationship with people and have network for our lives and business!

Anyway, the team Kenya and its supporters were so passionate! We could feel their patriotism that there were over 1,000 Kenyan people who live in the US. I wish it will happen for other supporters from other countries for the next tournament.


This is the moment when team USA won against team France!

Nari

No comments: