Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Donaghy Rant

I've been busy working up at the US Open so I'm upset that I couldn't be the first person to make the joke: Game Six of the 2002 Western Conference Finals was rigged, tell me something I don't know Tim. Really, is there anybody out there that doesn't already know this? The only time that I followed the NBA for the past ten years was for a few months in 2001 when the Sixers made that finals run and I even know about this game. Ralph Nader wrote a consumer advocate letter requesting league investigation. I mean Nader is a little off, but he has a pretty good track record with these types of things (seat belts,etc.). The Lakers shot 27 free throws in the fourth quarter! Come on 27 free throws, are you kidding me? I bet Donaghy doesn't even have any specific evidence and he is just using this as a legal strategy to force someone to investigate that game and other incidents. He hopes that the league settles with him and stops asking for restitution because they don't want to have to investigate this and other games. Something is bound to turn up with crooked refs and maybe somebody implicates the league? Stern is too smart to have any trail to him and league execs, but somebody else in the commissioner's or league office? That's possible. Maybe I'm crazy and it's just a rant, thoughts?
Zazo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No!! Wasn't this around the time where they had to edit the NBA rules for things like this? I don't remember if this was the year that instigated this, but when you have a big oaf guy like Shaq who can't make free throws, wouldn't it make some sense for the other team to 'hack-a-Shaq" if the game was close? Shaq misses 1/2, the Kings get closer.

Not just saying this as a Laker fan...ok maybe I am. But still, why on earth would Donaghy come out with this a whole year later?